A*STAR-ESSEC Business School Innovation Pitch Competition
Champion: Team Meristem from Saint Joseph's Institution International School
1st Runner-up: Team On Track from NUS High School
2nd Runner-up: Team Sustainable Soil from Dunman High School
Most Innovative Business Award: Team On Track from NUS High School
Most Innovative Technology Award: Team Meristem from Saint Joseph's Institution International School
Most Impactful Innovation Award: Team Teach2Learn from Australian International School
Most Realistic Financials Award: Team Hexapod from NUS High School
About the Competition
Human behaviour in accelerating environmental and resource degradation sees the world’s eco-system completely failing by 2050 and rendering the Earth largely uninhabitable for humans. Unless urgent change is enacted today, the resultant social, political and security problems that come from competition for resources could tear modern society as we know it apart. Yet change cannot simply come from the world’s governments. Citizens and businesses, especially innovative start-ups, have a major role to play in changing how we manage our resources, protect our environment and alleviate social problems.
As part of this year’s one-north Festival to commemorate Singapore’s Bicentennial, A*STAR and ESSEC Business School are co-organising the ‘Innovation Pitch Competition’ to invite aspiring science and technology innovators across all Junior colleges, Polytechnics, Independent and International schools, to showcase their ideas in conceptualising innovative solutions for today’s societal and environmental issues.
Who Should Apply
Current students from Junior colleges, Polytechnics, Independent and International schools who have strong passion in creating a sustainable environment are invited to apply!
Teams should comprise of:
- 2 - 3 members (all must present in the finals)
- Year 11 or 12 (or final 2 years of study in their high school)
- Studying in Junior colleges, Polytechnics, Independent and International schools
- Between 16 to 20 years of age
- Must be current students of their respective school
Students have this opportunity to explore sustainable technologies and develop a concept that is aligned to the theme. Teams have to submit a proposal that consists of a one-page summary, a slide presentation and a YouTube video pitch.*
The proposal guidelines are:
- PDF file format
- 5-minute YouTube video (link has to be included in the slide presentation)
- Maximum 20 slides
- Maximum size: 10 Mb
- Files should be named according to this format: school_name_innovationname.pdf
*Refer to Contestant Guide for more information
Key Timeline in a Glance
|Submission of Proposals
||16 August 2019
|Boot Camp @ ESSEC (1-to-1 coaching)
||25 August 2019
|Final Submission of Shortlisted Proposals
||30 August 2019
|Grand Finale Event (Finals at the one-north Festival)
||13 September 2019
Great Pitch. Great Prizes!
Shortlisted teams will get to pitch their ideas at the Finals and they will get to win the following prizes!
- Winner $3,000
- 1st Runner-up $1,500
- 2nd Runner-up $750
- Finalists (3 teams) $250 each
- Most Innovative Business Award $1,000
- Most Innovative Technology Award $1,000
- Most Impactful Innovation Award $1,000
- Most Realistic Financials Award $1,000
How to Apply
Register and submit your proposal and videos here!
Do take note that the closing date for all submissions is 16 August 2019, 5pm.
Key Things to Note
- Students are advised to speak to their schools’ career advisors about representing their schools in the Finals.
- Incomplete proposals will be disqualified from the selection.
- Students will need to attend the boot camp on 24 and 25 August 2019 for a 1-to-1 coaching by industry mentors. The teams will be informed at the end of the camp if their proposals have been selected.
- All team members have to be present at the Finals, held on 13 September 2019 at Fusionopolis, during the annual one-north Festival.
Have lots of ideas and burning questions? Refer to the Contestant Guide or cast your questions to us at [email protected]! We look forward to your creative ideas on how to make this world a more sustainable one for future generations!